Heat stress and heat stroke are more common than most people think. For workers who spend large portions of their day in the hot sun or in conditions where they are exposed to extreme heat, these are an ever-present risk that should be guarded against. CHARNAUD® looks at the five main causes of heat stress and recommends the most effective PPC & E.
Watch Out for the 5 Main Causes of Heat Stress
Heat stress occurs when the body’s natural temperature regulation mechanisms are not able to keep up with a rapid and sustained increase in body temperature. The symptoms of heat stress include fatigue, dizziness, fainting, excessive sweating. It is a health hazard in its own right, but it can also make workers more susceptible to other dangers, as it causes them to become drowsy and less alert. Look out for the five main causes of heat stress.
- Work environment: The safest and most productive work environment is one that averages around 20-25 degrees Celsius. Many people have to work in conditions hotter than this, including outdoor labourers, those who work with furnaces and fire fighters.
- Age: It has been found that people over the age of 40 are more prone to heat stress. Proper precautions should be taken for workers in this age range if they have to work in hot conditions.
- Overwork: Extended work hours and heavy workloads both make people more susceptible to heat stress. Frequent breaks, moderate workloads and reasonable work hours are all important to ensure that workers remain safe.
- Lack of hydration: Many workers make the mistake of not drinking enough water during the workday. Hydration is an important part of the body’s natural temperature regulation process. It has been shown that 2 to 3% water loss can cause a decrease energy levels by up to 20%.
- Personal Protective Clothing and Personal Protective Equipment: PPC & PPE is vital for protection against heat, but the wrong PPC & E or safety gear that is worn incorrectly, can lead to heat stress. Many workers complain that PPC & E is too hot or uncomfortable. The key is to find PPC & E that provides protection whilst also keeping workers cool and comfortable.
Choose the Right PPE to Protect You Against the Heat
CHARNAUD® supplies ranges of PPC & E specifically designed to protect workers who are exposed to flame, hot metal and other, similar risks. In addition to providing effective protection against these dangers, they are also designed to be comfortable enough for workers to wear for an entire shift, while keeping the body temperature more consistent. FIRE-SAFE®, SURVIVE-ARC® and METAL-SAFE® are designed for professionals in firefighting, electrical work and metal work respectively, providing effective barriers against the serious injury and risks in posed by these professions, whilst also being lightweight and breathable.
Read our blog for more tips and advice on all varieties of PPC&E.
Trust CHARNAUD® for Quality Heat-Resistant PPE
CHARNAUD® is a supplier of quality protective clothing for a variety of professions. Protect your team from hazardous work environments by providing them with quality gear from a reputable brand. Contact us for advice and quotations on PPC & E.
Now Read: Wildland Fire-fighting safety