Arc flash can cause serious damage, injuries – and even death. It is imperative to protect electrical workers against arc flashes to ensure that they do not suffer as a consequence of any of the following potential risks. CHARNAUD® discusses the six most dangerous results of arc flash incidents.
The Consequences of Arc Flash
When arc flashes occur, an immense amount of energy is released. This sudden explosion of energy can cause severe damage to objects and people in the vicinity. Take a look at the six most common and most dangerous results of arc flash.
Read our blog for more tips and advice on all varieties of PPE.
Six Typical Arch Flash Consequences
Various studies, as well as common professional experience among many of the world’s electrical workers, indicate that arc flashes typically lead to one or more of the following results:
- Burns. Aside from burns resulting from direct contact between flames or sparks and skin, clothing that is not flame-resistant can also burn onto the skin.
- Fire. Arc flashes almost always lead to a fire, which, of course, can quickly get out of control.
- Flying debris. The explosive nature of arc flashes usually leads to molten metal shrapnel and other debris being scattered into the air at high velocity. These can easily cause injuries.
- Blast pressure. The blast pressure that results from an arc flash can amount to a force which can be thousands of kilograms per square metre. That kind of explosive force can do untold damage.
- Sound blast. As the explosion happens, a loud sound blast occurs, often reaching up to 140db – as loud as a gunshot.
- Heat. Arc flash blasts are extremely hot – which can lead to burns, as well as various injuries that can result from exposure to the heat generated by the arc flash blast.
Protect Your Workers Against Arc Flash With CHARNAUD®’s SURVIVE-ARC
CHARNAUD® is a supplier of quality PPE for a variety of professions. Our SURVIVE-ARC® range is specially designed to protect workers against the impacts of arc flashes. Contact us for advice and quotations on PPE for your business.