Working in cold rooms and freezers comes with serious risks. These risks could result in serious injury – even death. CHARNAUD® explains what these risks are and what can be done to keep them at bay.
What Can Go Wrong When Working In Cold Storage?
Human bodies can only tolerate a specific temperature range. When temperatures are extreme, either high or low, our bodies are at serious risk. Anybody who works in cold storage has at least some idea of how intolerable the sub-zero conditions can be when protection is insufficient or when one remains in such an environment for too long. Working with cold, wet conditions presents several other risks aside from low temperatures. These include:
- Exposure to cold (hypothermia)
- Lack of oxygen
- Slips, trips and falls
- Lack of visibility
Some of the measures we can take to guard against these risks are:
- Limiting exposure to cold conditions – impose limits on the time that employees spend in cold rooms.
- Ensure that sub-zero spaces can easily be entered and exited. Make sure that door mechanisms are always in good working order and can be accessed from both sides of the door.
- Using slip-resistant floor surfaces to reduce slip hazards.
- Have emergency response measures in place. Do regular training sessions and drills to ensure that all staff members are thoroughly familiar with these measures.
- Ensure that effective PPE equipment, specially designed for use in cold conditions, are issued to all relevant staff.
Read our blog for more tips and advice on all varieties of PPE.
CHARNAUD®’s ZERO-TECH® range
CHARNAUD® has designed the CHARNAUD® ZERO-TECH® PPE & C range specifically for workers who operate in sub-zero conditions. This collection includes hooded freezer jackets, freezer trousers, thermal socks, gloves and boots. The garments are made of flame-resistant cotton with quilted liners. If you need PPE for cold conditions, contact us and speak to us about CHARNAUD® ZERO-TECH®.
Come To CHARNAUD® To Get Your Crew Fitted With The Best PPE
CHARNAUD® is a top supplier of hazard specific PPE into a wide range of hazardous work environments. We can help employees of all occupations to protect themselves against the hazards of their daily tasks. Contact us for advice and quotations on PPE for your business.
Now Read: Our Expert Team Answer the Top CHARNAUD FIRE-SAFE FAQs